Sunday, January 09, 2011

Thought for the week- Being Slow to Teach.

I've really been thinking about teaching. Not as a career possibility or anything but just the idea of teaching. Now when I talk about me teaching, I'm not talking about a classroom or anything. I'm talking about simple conversations I have with family or friends. Personally, I'm terrified of the thought of teaching, but on the other hand, often times I find that I'm so quick to offer a word of advice- "If I were you, I'd do this......." Just when I get a great thought, I'm so quick to share it to others but many times I lack the most essential part of sharing those words of advice which is, putting it into practice myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that sharing advice is bad. It's only bad when I myself don't put it into practice. So I guess this post's title should really be named..."Practice what I preach." Whatever the title may be, I've been learning the importance of teaching only what has been learned or put into practice. And when I think about all the things I've actually put into practice, I find that I'm even more hesitant to teach or offer words of advice since I have barely put anything into practice. I often find myself correcting my niece on things that I know are wrong but many times I do them myself-which is not beneficial to either of us. I think this whole idea of being slow to teach also ties in with the idea of humility. I need to humble myself enough to put into practice what I'm telling or being told. When I first thought about the idea of teaching, I automatically thought of James 3:1- "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment." (This stricter judgment part of teaching really scared me) But then I realized that this verse is not to discourage people from teaching but exactly the opposite! This verse encourages me to live a more careful life so that whatever I say might be actually seen in my life and truly beneficial.

James 3: 13 says it beautifully. I pray that I myself can put this verse into practice. "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."

No comments:

Post a Comment