Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ruth

On my journey through the Bible, I've come to the book of Ruth and I got to say I read it in a way that I've never read it before. I thank God for letting me see things I hadn't seen before even through my many previous times reading through this short but amazing book. It's on a reminder that no matter how many times you read something in the Bible, there's only more layers to peel back and lessons to be learned from it.

As I started reading, I came across the usual qualities of Ruth that are so widely discussed but my eyes took a fresh, new look at Boaz. He doesn't really come into the scene until the mother and daughter-in-law duo reach Bethlehem. Here is where Ruth decides to take on responsibility and asks her mother-in-law for permission to go work in a field so they will have grain- which I'm not sure if they'll sell or eat or do even both with it. Basically, she is concerned with the idea of going out and doing work which will provide for herself and her mother. She wasn't idle or lazy. As she went on concerned about her work, she ended up working right into Boaz's field. The first time she saw Boaz was probably when he came back from doing things in the town and greeted his workers. It is recorded that when he returned, he greeted the people with "May the LORD be with you." (Ruth 2:4) and they replied with a blessing for him. After he greets the people (My thinking is that he greeted the workers in his field), he goes to one of his most trustworthy servants who was put in charge of the workers and inquires about the young woman- who she is and whose she is. The first thing I noticed here is that Boaz did his research. He saw this young woman and instead of running right up to her, he inquired of her from someone who has probably spent the day looking after the workers. He gets her whole history in a matter of minutes or verses lol (Ruth 2:5-7). He finds out where she is from, who she is here with, why she came here, how long she has been here and where she is now. You might think he's a news reporter or something with all this information he learns from his servant lol!- but I think his curiosity was of a genuine interest and not of any impure motive. Only after learning about her or doing some research, did he decide to approach her & when he did, oh it was something beautiful! Their first recorded conversation is really something marvelous.


Boaz approaches Ruth and says "Then Boaz said to Ruth, “Listen carefully, my daughter. Do not go to glean in another field; furthermore, do not go on from this one, but stay here with my maids. Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Indeed, I have commanded the servants not to touch you. When you are thirsty, go to the water jars and drink from what the servants draw.” Ruth 2:8-9


There are a few things I noticed about his first conversation with her:
He approaches her with a word of advice or instruction and says, "Listen carefully."
The way he speaks to her is with an affectionate tone, "my daughter" almost with a gentle concern.
He asks her to stay in his field and not look at any other fields.
He assures her that he will protect her by telling her how he has already commanded his servants not to touch her.He explains that he will provide for her by allowing her to drink when she is thirsty and even drink out of what his own servants draw.
To briefly sum what I just said up, in his first conversation with her, his conduct is gentle, he promises to protect her and provide for her.

What is her response to this? Look at Ruth 2:10. She falls on her face! She bows to the ground and is at utter amazement at how on earth she found favor in his eyes. She feels unworthy. Is this not a picture of how Christ treats us? and how we are to react to Christ's affection, gentle tone, promise to protect and provide for us?

Boaz doesn't write off Ruth's question of how or why she found favor in his eyes. He explains to her exactly what it is that impressed him and he blesses her. It is recorded that Ruth continued working in his field for quite some time. & After some time, Naomi starts seeing how it's probably time for Ruth to find a husband, she's been so helpful with looking after the family and taking care of Naomi that it's time for Ruth to take care of herself. Naomi gently instructs Ruth to go propose marriage to Boaz! Now when I read this, I was like whaaaat? But after looking at a commentary, the suggested reason for this is that since Boaz was an older gentlemen and Ruth was a young woman, he would not have approached her. Instead, Naomi suggested Ruth to propose using this ancient Eastern custom seen in Ruth 3:2-9. What really caught my attention here is Boaz's reponse. He graciously accepts and compliments her by saying how he and the people of the city know she is a woman of excellence. A woman of excellence- what a coincidence- just verses before, Boaz was seen greeting the people and being blessed by them. Both Boaz and Ruth seem to personify excellence which makes them a pretty well matched couple. BUT- Boaz says, there is someone else who has a closer relation than he does so as is customary, he must ask the other gentleman first.

This moment was pivotal. This young lady turns the tide and risks it all by proposing to a much older gentleman and here, they both seem to agree to the marriage but Boaz says, wait- there's a possibility that you are not meant for me! There is another who might have the first right to marry you. What a bummer. Can you imagine what may be going on in Ruth's mind? She's become familiar with Boaz and comfortable enough to talk openly with him and even ready to spend the rest of her life with him but in a matter of hours, she might be engaged to marry someone totally different. But this is exactly what defines Boaz as a man of excellence! He knew he had to do what is right even though it might not end up how they both want it. This is an amazing display of excellence. He was a man who knew the laws and regulations by which he had to abide so he openly and honestly tells Ruth of the situation. He sends her back to Naomi with even more barley than she gathered! When Ruth arrives back home, she tells Naomi all about what happened. (Talk about an amazing mother-in-law to daughter relationship) Naomi instructs Ruth to W A I T until she knows how the matter falls or turns out for the man will not rest until he has settled it today. That caught my attention also- waiting to just see how the matter falls. Sometimes I find myself trying to take matters into my own hands. But here, Naomi instructs Ruth to just..wait. Not jump down any throats, not taking matters into your own hands, but just wait. That really showed me just how much faith/patience/peace they had in God's plan for their future and life in general. Not worrying about any matter.

Meanwhile, Boaz, the lovely gentleman goes up to the city gate and finds the other relative and gathers the ten elders of the city and they discuss the matter. Now although Boaz was an older gentlemen, he still had the humbleness and respect to approach the other gentlemen about his responsibility/choice of marrying Ruth. What does the other gentleman say? "I cannot redeem it for myself, because I would jeopardize my own inheritance. Redeem it for yourself..." Ruth 4:6. OUCH. He refused to take on Ruth because that would be taking a hit for his own inheritance or property or family. Boaz and the other man then create an agreement that Ruth will be wed to Boaz and the elders of the city bless Boaz by blessing Ruth. After reading this, I think of how Christ had even more that he placed in jeopardy to redeem me and yet He did it. He gave up His heavenly glory for skin, His crown for thorns, His life He traded to die in my place all to R E D E E M me. Boaz was Ruth's kinsman redeemer as Christ is our Redeemer. Ruth was a widow, she lost all she had, she left her family, friends, home and clung to Naomi which is characteristic of a deep, faithful love. There must not have been much to gain by marrying this widow but Boaz redeemed her- gave her hope for a bright future. I'm so amazed at how through his love and conduct to Ruth, Boaz shadows certain characteristics of Christ. 


and what's more? Boaz and Ruth turn out to be the great grandparents of King David and are even included in the genealogy of Jesus Himself! What a blessed story! Well, I'm off to travel through the book of 1 Samuel and I can't wait to see who I'll meet there! Laters. =)

2 comments:

  1. love this! you are such an inspiration jerr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me?! no way sheri HOSAY. Look at the person who wrote and designed the story! HE'S the inspiration =)

    ReplyDelete