So on my walk, I've been reading the book of Numbers. Trekking through the wilderness with the groaning, moaning Israelites and witnessing every miracle God performs for His people. The other morning, as I sat down with my breakfast ;) I read Numbers 14. The setting takes place in Kadesh in the Desert of Paran where all Israel camped awaiting the return of their spies who had gotten the unimaginable chance of a lifetime to see the land that God was planning and willing to give to His people. Now usually, people are so excited to get a "First Look" at anything. Be it a movie or a car or a new item in technology like let's say the Iphone 5! :p Whatever it may be, you get my point. People die to get a first look or first touch or first taste at something before the rest of the world has done it. There is some kind of thrill that comes along with being the only person to ever see it before any other has laid their eyes on it. But what I saw here, when the spies returned, was nothing like the anticipated thrill I was yearning for. Trust me, I was excited to see how these chosen men would go and see the lovely land of Canaan and bring back the amazing report of how excited they were-It was The promised land after-all! But no. Numbers 13: 32 says: "And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored." Wha? Come on guys! This is the land GOD is giving you! It's like taking a present that President Obama gave you and badmouthing it right in front of him! In the midst of my utter disappointment at how the Isrealites acted, in chapter 14, I found God's reaction. Num 14:36 "So the men Moses had sent to explore the land, who returned and made the whole community grumble against him by spreading a bad report about it— 37 these men who were responsible for spreading the bad report about the land were struck down and died of a plague before the LORD. 38 Of the men who went to explore the land, only Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh survived."
WOW. I mean yeah. God must have felt terribly hurt by those bad reports those men brought back to the Israelites. Those men turned the whole community sour against God by just word of mouth. The only two who did no such thing were Joshua and Caleb.
Then a thought struck me. I saw myself standing amongst the community of Israel. Then a more vivid image-I saw myself as one of those who brought back a bad report.
I didn't like the feeling I had in my gut now. I know God was speaking to me. There are so many times where I can recount me thinking and even speaking badly of something. Something I didn't like about someone or a situation that God gave me that I didn't like. I wondered if God feels the same kind of hurt He felt in that wilderness with the Israelites when hurtful things come out of my mouth. How could I say that I didn't like what God created? How could I complain to God that one of his creations were something less than perfect? How could I DARE try to doubt God? No, I didn't want to grieve God. I wanted to see myself standing right next to Joshua and Caleb. Seeing what God gave them and having the faith to say, Yes! Even though the land has people living in it, God said He would give us this land, and I know He'll stand true to His word. They never spoke a bad word about what God created for them, showed them, and ultimately gave them.
It was really an eye opener at how seriously God takes what His people say. Be it about His creations or what He gives them. It really challenged me to watch everything I say this week.I don't want to be a moaning, groaning Israelite. I want to be an encouraging Joshua. A person careful about what he speaks like Caleb.
Just some verses to help me this week with my challenge.
James 3: 5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.
James 3: 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
No comments:
Post a Comment